A lecture/lab course focused on mastery of skills for creating digital 3D characters. Students will develop skills/knowledge to shape, mold, transform/articulate, deform digital 3D shapes creating digital characters with an emphasis on artistic excellence through application of current 3D technologies.
Master the theory, processes, and techniques of creating high-production value, digital-3D characters. We’ll focus on the process of modeling complex surface objects by exploring a variety of techniques used to shape, mold, transform, articulate, and deform digital 3D shapes.
- Recognize basic ideas of form and function
- Identify concepts of structural biomechanics and the human form
- Broaden knowledge of the human skeletal and muscular structure
- Understand concepts of pose, weight and balance
- Name conventions to support the render pipeline
- Reference geometry to support a complex, multi-person team
- Implement scene organization and optimization techniques
- Work with edge loops and correct geometry flow
- Implement tools for creating complex organic shapes
- Convert 2D artwork to 3D forms
- Extrude edge method of modeling forms
- Utilize box modeling method of modeling forms
- Sculpt in a digital environment
- Employ character finishing principles
- Utilize multi-pass rendering and compositing
- Utilize Photoshop, Maya, BodyPaint 3D, Mudbox, ZBrush and Renderman
From this course, students will learn a variety of techniques to model, texture, light and animate in a 3D environment.